Saturday, April 15, 2017

OUGD501 Study Task 07: Studio Brief 2 - Idea generation / prototypes

OUGD501 Study Task 07: Studio Brief 2 - Idea generation / prototypes:

Idea Generation:
Idea generation / material considerations (1 A3 design sheet)

Requirements: At least 20 rough ideas/scamp/thumbnail solutions to the problem. Where applicable your ideas should be accompanied by necessary material considerations (production methods, medium, scale, etc.) including a discussion of the impact of material decisions.

Research considerations / justifications: 

STOCK

PRINT

BINDING

COLOUR

IMAGES

TYPOGRAPHY

PRINCIPLES - functional, rational, expressive, modernist / postmodernist, hierarchy, etc.

AUDIENCE - SOCIO-ECONOMIC, GENDER, AGE, RACE, ETC.

USER EXPERIENCE

USABILITY

CANONS

Sketches:

I began by doing as many quick sketches of my initial ideas for the layout and content that I would include. This has helped me to create a better visualisation to mock something up digitally.





I asked my peers which ideas they thought best appropriate to take forward, which helped me to make my own decision. 

10 - Keeping it similar to the original design with the half and half colour will make it still easy to recognise. The design is simple and clear, if done well could help the brand to have that high end look.

11 - Taking a more minimal approach on the original design again will help the product to still be recognised by it's loyal consumers. The star will be at a smaller scale and the weight of the type will need to be adjusted.

14 - Having the star at a large scale only half showing creates a more intriguing composition, type can then be arranged around this appropriately.

These are the three ideas that I am going to take forward and turn into graphic prototypes, however I may take idea from some of the other designs if it doesn't work appropriately.

Material:
I am going to continue using the same material as with the current wrapper which is made out of a non recyclable plastic. I have decided not to experiment with material because this is the material used widely for instant noodles to help keep the freshness of the product. It will also be easy to apply the new design using the same production method they already use.

Colour:
Current colour on the chicken flavour packet: 
Blue - 0e52a7
Yellow - e0dd2c

I want to try and keep the same colours because the blue is iconic of the super noodles brand, however I might look at different shades as a darker shade of blue could help to create a more luxurious feel.

Typography:
From my research it is clear that typefaces with a thinner weight help to make a product look high end, this is something I am going to consider. I want to try and find a similar style to the original and apply a thinner weight to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment