Saturday, April 23, 2016

OUGD401 Synthesis

Synthesis:
Within my written piece I talk about the constant power struggle between branding and the consumer. A brand is created by people, human emotions are evoked and used to create the connection between a brand and a consumer. Within my practical work I have looked at how design within branding can evoke certain emotions to create that connection for children. I am looking at how branding has taken control of society and the strong influence it has on people. So, to put it simply how branding with design techniques can influence a consumer to buy the product. 

Within my essay I have looked at Edward Bernays, and he worked closely with the government through product placement, celebrity endorsement and use of the pseudo-scientific reports, all of these things advertising today still use. In 1929 it was unheard of for women to smoke in public, Bernays' however soon changed that for his client who owned the ‘Lucky Stipe’ brand of tobacco. He launched his ‘Torches of Freedom’ campaign where famous women could be seen smoking in public at New York’s annual Easter parade in 1929. This use of 'celebrity' is a similar technique I have used in my practical work.

No comments:

Post a Comment